United Nations World Oceans Day 2023
Thursday, 8 June 2023
10:00 AM - 1:30 PM EDT
Hosted by the Division for Ocean Affairs and the Law of the Sea of the Office of Legal Affairs (DOALOS)
Tides Are Changing
In Partnership with Oceanic Global and supported by Panerai. Register
Time to Put The Ocean First
THE OFFICIAL 2023 UN WOD ANNOUNCEMENT VIDEO IS HERE
JOIN UN WOD 2023
The ocean covers the majority of the earth, but only a small portion of its waters has been explored. Despite humanity’s utter reliance on it, and compared to the breadth and depth of what it gives us, the ocean receives only a fragment of our attention and resources in return.
But tides are changing.
Tune in on 8 June to celebrate the United Nations World Oceans Day 2023 theme, Planet Ocean, by joining forces with decision makers, scientists, private sector executives, civil society representatives, indigenous communities, celebrities and youth activists and more to put the ocean first.Register to Watch the Virtual Event
Secretary-General, United Nations
Deep-Sea Biologist, SpeSeas; Benioff Ocean Science Lab, UCSB
Explorer at Large, National Geographic & Mission Blue
Actor and Activist
Founder & Chief Oceanic Explorer, Proteus Ocean Group
Maritime Archaeologist & Programme Coordinator Culture Sector, UNESCO
Actor and UN Environment Programme Advocate for Life Below Water
Founder and Chief Investment Officer Mentor, Bridgewater Associates; Co-Founder, Dalio Philanthropies; Co-Founder, OceanX
Full Lineup & Schedule
Planet Ocean: Opening Remarks10:00 AM
United Nations representatives and high-level speakers will open UN World Oceans Day with remarks on the 2023 theme "Planet Ocean: Tides are Changing".
- H.E. António Guterres, Secretary-General of the United Nations
- Miguel de Serpa Soares, Under-Secretary-General for Legal Affairs and United Nations Legal Counsel
- Lea d'Auriol, Founder & Executive Director, Oceanic Global
- Jason Momoa, Actor and UN Environment Programme Advocate for Life Below Water
- Lucas Bravo, Actor and Activist
Water & Wisdom10:30 AM
A multi-sensory performance reconnecting humanity with the element of water which sustains the diversity of life on earth.
- Whaia, Sonic Weaver
Fireside Chat: Time to Put the Ocean First10:50 AM
A discussion on the need to change the tides and prioritize the ocean across all sectors.
- Moderator: Sophia Li, Journalist & Climate Communicator
- Sylvia Earle, Explorer at Large, National Geographic & Mission Blue
- Ray Dalio, Ray Dalio, Founder and Chief Investment Officer Mentor, Bridgewater Associates; Co-Founder, Dalio Philanthropies; Co-Founder, OceanX
World Oceans Day Message from the International Space Station11:40 AM
- Steve Bowen, NASA Astronauts
- Woody Hoburg, NASA Astronauts
Ocean x Climate Keynote11:40 AM
A deep dive keynote on the ocean-climate intersection.
- Hans-Otto Pörtner, Marine Ecophysiologist Alfred-Wegener-Institute & Co-Chair WG II, IPCC
Beyond the Surface Spotlights11:45 AM
Spotlight diving deep into the power and potential of the ocean.
- Fabien Cousteau, Founder & Chief Oceanic Explorer, Proteus Ocean Group
- Diva Amon, Deep-Sea Biologist, SpeSeas; Benioff Ocean Science Lab, UCSB
- Titouan Bernicot, Founder and CEO, Coral Gardeners
Ocean Literacy12:30 PM
Remarks on how furthering our understanding of the ocean equips us to better protect it.
- Jean-Marc Pontroué, CEO, Officine Panerai
- Francesca Santoro, Senior Programme Officer, Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission of UNESCO
Blue Perspective Spotlights12:40 PM
Spotlight presentations underscoring our interconnectivity to and reliance on the ocean.
- Moussa Wele, Maritime Archaeologist & Programme Coordinator Culture Sector, UNESCO
- Mohammad Arju, Communications Coordinator, ICCA Consortium
- Mpume Mthombeni, Performer & Co-founder, Empatheatre
10th Annual Photo Competition Winners Announced1:15 PM
Announcement of the finalists and winners of the 10th Annual Photo Competition for United Nations World Oceans Day.
- Curator: Ellen Cuylaerts, Freelance Underwater, Wildlife Photographer and Curator 2023 World Oceans Day Photo Competition
- Photo Competition Host: Ian Bongso-Seldrup, Managing Editor and Chief Operations Officer, Dive Photo Guide
- Rajan Desai, Wildlife Photographer
- Ipah Uid Lynn, Underwater Fine Art Wildlife Photographer
- Rathika Ramasamy, Wildlife Photographer
- Antoine Janssens, Photographer, Filmmaker & Director
The tenth annual Photo Competition is coordinated in collaboration between the United Nations Division for Ocean Affairs and the Law of the Sea (DOALOS), DivePhotoGuide (DPG), Oceanic Global, the Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission of UNESCO and Nausicaa.
Closing Remarks1:25 PM
Closing remarks from United Nations and Oceanic Global summarizing key messages and calling on continuous action to protect our blue planet.
- Lea d'Auriol, Executive Director & Founder, Oceanic Global
- Francois Bailet, Senior Legal Officer, Division for Ocean Affairs and the Law of the Sea, Office of Legal Affairs, United Nations
Hosted by the Division for Ocean Affairs and the Law of the Sea of the Office of Legal Affairs (DOALOS) in partnership with Oceanic Global and supported by Panerai, with contribution by Discover Earth and OceanX.
Tune In for the Virtual UN WOD EventRegister
Spread the word about the event with the UN World Oceans Day toolkit, filled with downloadable graphics, sample social media posts, and more.Discover
Your #OceanFirst Story
Join us and OceanX in sharing your #OceanFirst story to amplify awareness of the importance of the ocean.Share
A step-by-step guide to host a screening of the UN World Oceans Day event (available in English, French, and Spanish.)Host
More Ways to AmplifyExplore www.unworldoceansday.org & follow @unworldoceansday on Instagram for more frequent updates
The Photo Competition for UN World Oceans Day is curated by Ellen Cuylaerts and a jury composed of world-renowned individuals. 2023 Marks the 10th year of the annual photo competition, which will include a celebratory exhibition at the UN Headquarters in New York. This is a unique opportunity for photographers to showcase the beauty of the ocean and generate a new wave of excitement towards protecting the ocean and the entirety of our blue planet.
2023 Competition is now closed for submissions
Supported by Panerai
With contribution by Discover Earth and OceanX.