United Nations World Oceans Day 2022
Revitalization: Collective Action for the Ocean8 June 2022 10:00 AM - 1:30 PM EDT
United Nations World Oceans Day was made possible by the generous contribution of Oceanic Global.
UN World Oceans Day 2022
This year’s United Nations World Oceans Day, on 8 June 2022, highlighted the theme Revitalization: Collective Action for the Ocean.
This was the first hybrid celebration of the annual event, hosted in-person at the UN Headquarters in New York and broadcast live to over 86,000 viewers from 143 member states.
The ocean connects, sustains, and supports us all. Yet its health is at a tipping point and so is the well-being of all that depends on it. As the past years have shown us, we need to work together to create a new balance with the ocean that no longer depletes its bounty but instead restores its vibrancy and brings it new life.
The United Nations World Oceans Day 2022 programming brought together 30 global thought leaders, shed light on the communities, ideas, and solutions that are working together to protect and revitalize the ocean and everything it sustains.
UN World Oceans Day 2022 was Hosted by the United Nations Division for Ocean Affairs and the Law of the Sea, Office of Legal Affairs, with the generouse contribution of Oceanic Global, which was made possible by La Mer.
UN WOD Full-Length Program
About The 2022 Program
UN WOD CONFERENCE
The day-of celebration featured thought-leaders, celebrities, institutional partners, community voices, entrepreneurs, and cross-industry experts as they delved into key topics and worked to inspire and ignite collaborative change.
Secretary-General, United Nations
Actress and Sustainability Advocate
Executive Director, EMEDO
President of the United Nations General Assembly
Environmental Action Organizer & Poet
Assistant Director, International Monetary Fund; Co-Founder, Rebalance Earth
President and Co-Chair,
Marine Biology Consultant, Nekton Science Program Manager
Full Lineup & Schedule
The programming deepened our understanding of the ocean, explored our connection to it, and discussed the need for building a new balance with the ocean that is inclusive, innovative and informed by those who depend on it as well as by lessons from the past.
United Nations Opening Remarks10:00 AM
High-level speakers will open UN World Oceans Day with remarks on the 2022 theme "Revitalization: Collective Action for Our Ocean”.
- António Guterres, Secretary-General of the United Nations
- Abdulla Shahid, President of the United Nations General Assembly
- Office of Legal Affairsl, United Nations
- Lea d’Auriol, Founder and Executive Director, Oceanic Global
- Host: Amber Valletta, Supermodel and Sustainability Advocate
Featuring an original score by Michael Leonhart
Revitalizing our Collective Efforts: Sylvia Earle10:25 AM
Marine Biologist, Oceanographer, and Explorer, Sylvia Earle dives into this year's theme: "Revitalization: Collective Action for the Ocean".
- Sylvia Earle, President and Co-Chair, Mission Blue
UN Ocean Conference Remarks10:40 AM
The Co-Hosts of the 2022 United Nations Ocean Conference share their message for World Oceans Day in preparation for the Conference.
- H.E. Mr. João Gomes Cravinho, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Portugal
Revitalization Spotlights10:45 AM
Spotlights on global collective ocean actions and initiatives from conservation, restoration, scientific exploration, community organizing, coalition building, governance approaches, and beyond, aimed at revitalizing the ocean.
- Moderator: Alejandro Alba, Senior Correspondent, NowThis
- Sheena Talma, Marine Biology Consultant, Nekton Science Program Manager
- Editrudith Lukanga, Executive Director, EMEDO
- Kate Orff, Founding Principal, SCAPE
- Martin Kramp, Ship Coordinator, WMO/OceanOPS
- Lisa Blair, Lisa Blair Sails the World
- Shinobu Namae, Executive Chef, Relais & Châteaux L'Effervescence
- James Kairo, Chief Scientist, Kenya Marine and Fisheries Research Institute
Remarks: La Mer11:20 AM
Remarks from La Mer, on their work to revitalize ocean action.
- Isha Sangani, Youth Leadership Council Member, Earth Echo
UN World Oceans Day Photo Competition Winners11:30 AM
Announcement of the finalists and winners of the 9th Annual United Nations World Oceans Day Photo Competition.
- Curator: Ellen Cuylaerts, Freelance Underwater and Wildlife Photographer and Curator, 2022 UN World Oceans Day Photo Competition
- Sirachai Arunrugstichai, Conservation Photojournalist and Marine Biologist
- Rathika Ramasamy, Wildlife Photographer
- Y Zin Kim, Underwater Photographer and Art Director
A Revitalized Ocean Economy11:55 PM
"The value of a living ocean to our health and economic well being"
Keynote by Ralph Chami, Assistant Director, The International Monetary Fund; Co-Founder, Rebalance Earth"
Panel exploring how to take a regenerative and collective approach to build a resilient ocean economy. Topics will include ocean fiance, innovation through startups and entrepreneurs, capacity building and private sector collaboration.
- Moderator: Martin Koehring, Head, World Ocean Initiative, The Economist
- Kendra MacDonald, Chief Executive Officer, Canada's Ocean Supercluster
- Andrew Hudson, Head, Water and Ocean Governance Program, UNDP
- Whitney Johnston, Director of Ocean Sustainability, Salesforce
World Ocean Week Remarks12:45 PM
Highlighting our human impact on the ocean, how ocean life and livelihoods are affected by issues from climate change to biodiversity loss, and the need to take action.
- Bart Smit Duijzentkunst, Legal Officer, Division for Ocean Affairs and the Law of the Sea, Office of Legal Affairs, United Nations
- Cassia Patel, Director of Programs, Oceanic Global
Musical Performance1:00 PM
- Julian Lage, Guitarist
- Margaret Glaspy, Singer-Songwriter
Discover stories, resources, and videos to learn more about our shared blue planet.Explore
Spread the word about the event with the official UN World Oceans Day toolkit, filled with downloadable graphics, sample social media posts, and more.Explore
See how States, Civil Society, Private Sector, and Intergovernmental Organizations are working to #RevitalizeTheOceanExplore