United Nations World Oceans Day 2020 Virtual Event
Innovation for our oceanMonday, 8th June, 2020 10 AM - 5 PM EDT
Oceanic Global is the non-profit and production partner to the United Nations for this year’s World Oceans Day 2020 celebration.
The United Nations World Oceans Day virtual event in celebration of the 2020 theme, Innovation for a Sustainable Ocean brought together over 135,000 people.
Produced in partnership with the non-profit organization Oceanic Global, UN World Oceans Day 2020 will be a day-long event featuring keynote speeches, panels, and fireside chats with leading ocean voices including:
Reksodihardjo – Lilley
June 8th, 202010 AM - 5 PM EDT
WHEREUN World Oceans Day Website
Opening Remarks10:00 AM
High-level speakers will open UN World Oceans Day with remarks on the 2020 theme "Innovation for a Sustainable Ocean".
- H.E. António Guterres, Secretary-General of the United Nations
- H.E. Tijjani Muhammad-Bande, President of the General Assembly
- Cara Jocelyn Delevingne, Actress, Model & Co-Founder, EcoResolution
Remarks: Cara Delevingne
The State of the Ocean10:15 AM
Speakers will provide an overview of the state of the ocean and highlight the inter-linkages of the problems we face, as well as opportunities we can harness.
- Sylvia Earle, President & Chair, Mission Blue Bill Joao
- Bill McKibben, Co-Founder, 350.org
- João Miguel Ferreira de Serpa Soares, Under-Secretary-General for Legal Affairs & United Nations Legal Counsel
"Spotlight Solutions" for the Ocean10:45 AM
This segment spotlights current projects offering innovative solutions that address the themes of the eight interactive dialogues of the 2020 UN Ocean Conference.
- Peter Thomson, United Nations Secretary-General's Special Envoy for the Ocean
- Lucy Biggers, Climate and Sustainability Correspondent, NowThis
Featured Spotlight Solutions:
- Francis Zoet, Co-Founder & Director of Operations, The Great Bubble Barrier
- Ahmad "Aki" Allahgholi, Founder & Managing Director, Coralive
- Olivier Ceberio, COO and Co-Founder, Resolute Marine
- Michael Selden, Co-Founder & CEO, Finless Foods
- Bigs Eggert & Jossie Jasmin, Sales and Marketing Director of Amun Ini Beach Bigs Eggert
- Dirk Rosen, Founder & Executive Director, Marine Applied Research and Exploration
- Elisa Morgera, Professor of Global Environmental Law, Strathclyde University Law School & Director, “One Ocean Hub"
- Jim Ritterhoff, Executive Director, FORCE BLUE
The Cousteaus: A Multigenerational Conversation on Ocean Exploration11:40 PM
The Cousteaus will provide a multigenerational perspective on our evolving understanding of the ocean across time, highlighting certain innovations in science and exploration that have shaped our relationship with the ocean.
- Jean-Michel Cousteau
- Celine Cousteau
- Fabien Cousteau
OceanX: Science, Technology and Deep Sea Exploration12:00 PM
The segment will highlight exciting developments in the world of science, technology and exploration, with a particular focus on deep sea exploration, opportunities for future discoveries and the rapid progress in this field.
- Mark Dalio, Founder & Creative Director, OceanX
- Edith Widder, CEO & Senior Scientist, Ocean Research & Conservation Association, Inc.
UN World Oceans Day Photo Competition Winners12:20 PM
Announcement of the finalists and winners of the 2020 UN World Oceans Day Photo Competition.
- Ellen Cuylaerts, Freelance Underwater and Wildlife Photographer and Curator, 2020 UN World Oceans Day Photo Competition
- Jim Standing, Adriana Basques, Adam Hanlon, Jill Heinerth, Darren Jew, Jane Morgan, Amos Nachoum, Miriam Stein Battles, David Salvatori, & John Thet
Remarks: Ellie Goulding
The Blue Economy and Private Sector Impact12:45 PM
This panel discussion will shed light on how the private sector is engaging communities to develop solutions for a healthy ocean.
- Curtis Brainard, Managing Editor, Scientific American
- Tom Szaky, Founder & CEO, TerraCycle
- Dave Ford, Founder, Soul Buffalo & Co-Founder, Ocean Plastics Leadership Network
- Melissa Garren, CEO & Founder, Working Ocean Strategies
- Michael W. Lodge, Secretary-General, International Seabed Authority
- Deeper Dive:
- One Ocean Foundation
Communities Innovating for a Sustainable Ocean1:40 PM
This segment will feature community-oriented, -managed, and -driven solutions for a healthy ocean. True solutions have public buy-in and this is an opportunity to highlight the successful coalition building efforts of groups that include affected voices at the decision-making table.
- Andrea Thompson, Associate Editor for Sustainability, Scientific American
- Gayatri Reksodihardjo – Lilley, Yayasan Alam Indonesia Lestari, Indonesian Nature Foundation
- Julia Kumari Drapkin, Founder & CEO, ISeeChange
- Asha de Vos, Founder & Executive Director, Oceanswell
- Shanta Shamsunnahar, Program Coordinator, MPA Program, Wildlife Conservation Society, Bangladesh
- Deeper Dive:
- Christophe Bailhache, Photographer & Filmmaker - Co-Founder of Underwater Earth
Youth Driving Innovation2:40 PM
Youth from around the world will share their solutions to drive innovation, engage their community and bridge generational gaps for a healthy and sustainable ocean.
- Jackson Harries, Filmmaker & Environmentalist
- Forbi Perise Eyong Nyosai, Greening Forward
- Lilly Platt, Environmentalist and Global Youth Ambassador for Plastic Pollution Coalition, WODI &Youth Mundus. Founder of Lilly's Plastic Pickup
- Dylan Vecchione, Founder, ReefQuest Foundation
- Callie Veelenturf, Marine Conservation Biologist; Founder, The Leatherback Project and Rights for Nature
World Ocean Week Remarks
Remarks on World Oceans Week and the efforts of the Friends of World Oceans Day (FOWOD) community.
- Francois Bailet, Senior Legal Officer, Division for Ocean Affairs and the Law of the Sea, Office of Legal Affairs, United Nations
- Lea d'Auriol, Founder & Executive Director, Oceanic Global
A Concert for The Ocean3:40 PM
The Day will conclude with a celebration of the ocean through live performances from musicians around the world!
A Concert for the Ocean
Spread the Word
World Oceans Day
This World Oceans Day, we’re partnering with the United Nations to create a platform highlighting ‘Innovation for a Sustainable Ocean’. The event will shed light on innovations for ocean sustainability, that are both promising and proven, ones that instill optimism, and that have demonstrated the ability to effectively scale.
2020 Theme: Innovation for a sustainable ocean
World Oceans Day 2020 will explore innovations across categories including technology, systems infrastructure, resource management, consumer products, and scientific exploration - and will outline how these innovations can be applied, their potential impact, and the resources needed to transform them into long-lasting solutions.