This year’s abbreviated New York Fashion Week (September 13-17, 2020) is an opportunity to hit pause and consider the impact our clothing and textile consumption choices have on not only the world around us, but our own health. We spotlight the impact of microplastic fiber shedding – a significant source of human- and animal-consumed plastic coming from our everyday clothes and commonly used plastic-derived fibers like polyester, spandex, and nylon.
DEEP DIVE SPEAKER SERIES
You’re invited to join us virtually via Instagram Live – our Deep Dive speaker series is hosted on the @oceanic.global channel. Over NYFW, we’ll cover the impact of our clothing choices on the planet and chat about how we can make more sustainable choices when we shop!
September 16, 2020
12PM EST / 6PM CET
MICROPLASTICS IN FASHION
Tune in on our Instagram as Dena Silver, Fashion Director at PureWow, takes over our channel for an Instagram Live Deep Dive conversation with Sharon Pieksma, Model, DJ & Activist, discussing the widespread impact of textiles on the environment, and how you can help.
TEST YOUR MICROPLASTIC KNOWLEDGE
DID YOU KNOW?
• Most of our clothes (60%) are made of plastic-derived fibers (like polyester, nylon, and spandex). They shed microfiber that enters our waterways every time we do laundry. (Environmental Pollution Journal)
• Washing plastic-derived clothing releases 500,000 tons of microfiber into the ocean annually — that’s 50 billion plastic bottles. (WEForum)
• We eat, drink, and breathe fashion. On average, we consume a credit card’s worth of plastic per week – microplastic has been found in, salt, beer, fish, produce, and even in the air we breathe. (University of Newcastle)
• Microplastics have been found in 94% of drinking water in the USA (83% globally). (OrbMedia Report)
• Don’t choose synthetic fibers. Opt for 100% organic cotton, or other plant-based fibers.
• Fix and mend your clothes to give them a longer life.
• Thrift shop, and plan local clothing swaps.
• Catch fibers with Cora Ball or Guppy Friend when doing laundry, or install PlanetCare filters on your washing machine.
SPREAD THE WORD
Share what you’ve learned with your network! Oceanic Global’s educational infographic is available for download below. Don’t forget to tag @oceanic.global!