It was wonderful to see locals joining the effort and grateful to witness community-led initiatives to take care of our shared shorelines. As the cleanup progressed, residents were astonished to see how much we found in a short time.
In what we collected, the noticeable new element – beyond the expected plastic bottles, cup-covers, balloon remnants and straws – was the variety of PPE, specifically the wide variety of disposable face masks. This is a visible, tangible reminder that as we respond to Covid-19 we get to do so in responsible ways, finding reusable and recoverable solutions that will not add to the ever increasing volume of single use trash. Cleanups remind us that there is no such thing as ‘away’, and all abandoned material poses risks to our health and that of our environment. As we see familiar items ending up on our beloved shores, we are empowered to avoid those items where we can in our daily lives!
Interested in joining our LA Hub? Learn more at oceanic.global/hubs
Host your own cleanup with your community! Follow our simple tips:
- Remember to wear a mask
- Bring your own gloves (any gardening or cloth gloves work well) & bucket if you can to be COVID-safe
- Bring a reusable water bottle (stay hydrated)
- Wear closed-toed shoes and watch out for sharp objects
- Respect the beach: dunes / protected nesting areas / etc.
- If you bring snacks opt for reusable packaging where you can
- Bring eco-friendly / reef-safe sunscreen
- Pack In, Pack Out –> we will leave the beach better than we found it 😉